Mar 28, 2022
Checklist For Building A New House
Building a new house is an exciting and rewarding experience. But for many first-time homebuyers, the process can also be full of manifold surprises and challenges.
At Aston Homes, our goal is to provide homebuyers with the resources, knowledge and support they need to make the most of their home building experience.
From choosing the right floor plan and figuring out your budget, right up until the final handover of keys and beyond – the team at Aston Homes will be by your side through it all, ensuring that you never have to face the important decisions alone.
If you’re serious about building a new house, here’s a helpful checklist of things you should keep in mind as you embark on each stage of your home building journey.
Are you looking to build the house of your dreams? Contact Aston Homes and chat to one of our new home consultants today!
Visit display homes
If you’re wondering how to prepare for building a new home, one of the first steps is to visit a display home. Viewing display homes is the best way to see a range of floor plans in action and gain a better understanding of what inclusions are on offer.
When visiting display homes, you should:
Go in with a plan
Before visiting display homes, you should first do your research and sit down with your new home builder to discuss what floor plan and style of home will best suit your wants and needs.
Pay attention to the quality of the home
Visiting a display home allows you to get a sense of what your home builder is capable of producing, so be sure to examine the execution of the home’s finishes – big and small.
Check out the inclusions
When building a new house, you’ll also want to know that you’re getting the best value for your money. So, make sure to inspect what finishes and features are included in the display home.
Our Aston Homes display homes are located in the northern and western suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria. Each display home showcases a variety of floor plans and boasts an extensive range of quality inclusions.
When visiting our display homes, feel free to raise any questions or concerns you may have with our new home consultants, who will be more than happy to offer their professional advice!
Choose your house and land package
If you don’t already own the perfect block of land, a house and land package is an affordable solution that can take the stress out of building a new home.
When choosing a house and land package, ask yourself the following:
- Does the location suit your needs in terms of size and proximity to schools, shopping centres and public transportation?
- What’s in the house plan? Is it a complete package?
- Are there hidden costs?
- Does the contract cover all of your needs?
At Aston Homes, all of our house and land packages come at a fixed price and include a full range of features that other builders’ sometimes do not include, such as driveways and landscaping.
Signing the contract
Once you’ve decided on the new house plans, the next thing to do is sign the contracts.
Here’s a checklist of things to remember when signing a contract:
- Make sure that you understand all of the terms of the agreement. If something is unclear, ask your home builder to explain it.
- Read the entire document carefully.
- Take your time. Don’t feel pressured to sign anything on the spot – you can always take the contract home with you to review.
Our priority at Aston Homes is to help homebuyers navigate their home building journey. We treat our clients as members of our family, ensuring that they receive the best, most transparent information at all times, especially when it comes to signing contracts.
If you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our new home consultants.
Once construction starts
Any good home builder will maintain open communication with their clients once the building process begins.
A few things to keep in mind once construction commences on your new home project:
- Get the contact details of your home builder and establish a relationship with them early on.
- Know the schedule and timeline of the build as outlined in your contract.
- Make sure you’re being kept in the loop on the progress of your build and any potential changes or delays that might occur.
- Pay attention to the details and ensure that everything is being completed according to the agreed upon specifications.
At Aston Homes, we value our clients’ involvement in the construction process. Before your project commences, you’ll meet with your site supervisor, who oversees the onsite tradespeople, contractors and progress of the build. Here, you’ll get the chance to ask questions, set expectations and learn about the key milestones of your project.
Our team will also stay in regular contact with you throughout the entire build. Our goal is for you to feel comfortable, so that you can have confidence knowing that your new house will turn out exactly how you imagined it.
Once construction is complete
After construction is finished, the next step in our checklist for building a house is to inspect your new property and access your aftercare services.
- During the final walk through, make sure that all of the finishes and surfaces are executed to the highest standards.
- Be sure to also check that the appliances and fixtures are in proper working order.
- Know your rights in terms of aftercare. Some builders may try to renege on their obligations after the handover of keys, so it’s important to know what new house building warranty you’re entitled to.
At Aston Homes, we pride ourselves on delivering the finest quality of new homes and inclusions. We only give you the keys once we know that everything is completed to the highest standards.
We also offer a 12 month maintenance period and 10 year structural warranty on all of our new homes. And after you’ve happily moved in, we encourage you to stay in contact with us, in case you have any lingering questions about your new property.
Chat to our Aston Homes new home consultants today
Being a family-owned business, we’re passionate about delivering great homes that families will love for years to come.
With years of experience building new homes around Australia, our team knows how to provide our clients with an enjoyable building experience and ensure that you’re supported at all times.
For exceptional new home designs and the best customer care, get in touch with our Aston Homes consultants today and kickstart your home building journey.